The renowned architect Robin Gerard Penleigh Boyd CBE (3 January 1919 – 16 October 1971) was born to Warrandyte artist parents Penleigh Boyd and Edith Anderson. He spent his earliest years at the family home The Robins in Warrandyte as part of a wide artistic circle.
It is appropriate however that 100 years after his birth, Warrandyte commemorates his legacy. Warrandyte is extremely fortunate in having five of his houses still in existence in the town. They were all commissioned by members of Warrandyte’s artistic community and are a vital part of the town’s rich architectural heritage.
In addition to his family home the Robin Boyd designed houses in Warrandyte are:
- The Nichol House 1949: Artist Tim Nichol
- The King House, 1951: Sculptor Inge King and husband Designer Grahame.
- The Finlay House 1952: Journalist Keith Finlay
- The Wright House (2) 1962-64: Graphic artists Joyce and James Wright
- The Arnold House 1963: Pianist Ann Arnold.
The houses are all privately owned and NOT accessible.
In the past tours have been conducted by The Boyd Foundation. The Foundation aims to continue the work and ethos of Robin Boyd through its activities. Information can be found on its website: robinboyd.org.au.
The Warrandyte Historical Society currently has an exhibit called Robin Boyd: The Warrandyte Connection at its museum, 111 Yarra Street, Warrandyte, Open 1.30-4.30pm Saturdays and Sundays. It provides an opportunity to view the houses through photographs and text.