By 1855, Warrandyte (still called Anderson’s Creek) had changed again with the start of deep quartz mining. A report in the Melbourne Argus described a population between 600-700 people. There were about two hundred tents, mostly along the river, eleven stores (in tents) and the start of a transport service to and from Melbourne (Cranfield, 1982). Some people who had come to mine gold moved on to richer diggings, but others stayed, raising families and calling the are home.
POSTAGE & Handling Charge: $5